An exercise physiologist is an Allied Health professional who specialises in the prescription of exercise. Exercise Physiologists;
- Prescribe exercises for health, fitness or rehabilitation.
- Advise on behavioural / lifestyle modification programs.
- Prevent, treat or manage medical conditions such as obesity, arthritis, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, depression, asthma and cardiovascular diseases, as well as many other conditions.
Exercise is a vital component to a healthy lifestyle, however exercising safely and effectively is not always simple if you fall outside of the ‘healthy’ population. Exercise Physiologists’ are trained to work with special populations to create exercise programs to meet their specific needs.
They are much more than an ordinary personal trainer at the gym. Exercise physiologists study at university for four years and have a wide range of knowledge about pathology, the human body and the benefit that exercise has on it, both mentally and physically.
Exercise physiologists are knowledgeable about the effects that exercise has on the musculoskeletal system, as well as on the cardiovascular and endocrine systems. They can prescribe a course of exercises for either fitness or rehabilitation. They can also advice on behavioural modification programs. Exercise physiologists can treat medical conditions such as obesity, arthritis, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, depression, asthma and cardiovascular diseases, as well as many other conditions.
Developing new and healthy habits for patients to enable them to manage their medical condition in the best way possible is a large part of their job. They can also work side by side with physiotherapists, occupational therapists and podiatrists.
If you think you, or someone you know may benefit from the services of an Exercise Physiologist to assist in the prevention, management and treatment of chronic disease or to improve all around health and wellbeing than talk to us today!
When you arrive for your initial assessment, please arrive 10-15 minutes earlier than your scheduled time so you can complete a full lifestyle evaluation. In this session our exercise physiologist will discuss with you about your health history, exercise history, goals and set a detailed and achievable plan. They will then complete any relevant assessments including: body composition, balance, flexibility, strength, posture and functional capacity. With all of this information your Exercise Physiologist can then proceed with the best plan of action moving forward to help you reach your goals!
Easy – we make 4 promises to all of our Exercise Physiology patients:
- We promise to take the time to accurately assess your current medical, physical and lifestyle status and to take the time to explain our recommendations in a way that you understand – after all this IS about you.
- We promise to do everything we can to get help you meet your exercise goals. You won’t be rushed in for a quick fix – we take the time to understand what motivates you and use this information to help you get there as quickly and safely as possible.
- We promise to greet you with a smile. It might not sound like much, but our patients tell us that the relaxed and friendly staff help them feel more comfortable to attend the exercise classes.
- We promise to work as part of your medical team. We always liaise with your GP to keep them informed of your progress. We are also affiliated with an Occupational Physician and Sports Physician and are in frequent contact with many specialists.
All of the Exercise Physiologists at 4 Life Exercise Physiology are registered with the major Private Health Insurer’s in Australia. Private Health Insurance companies do not require a medical referral for Exercise Physiology services. A medical referral from your GP or specialist is only required if you are making a claim under Workers Compensation, Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance, Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) or Veterans Affairs.
As all of our Exercise Physiologists are registered with all major Private Health Insurer’s in Australia, our services are covered to the extent that your policy provides. Thanks to our HICAPS claiming system, we can make an immediate claim to your insurance company and you only need to make the gap payment. Please contact your particular health insurance company for more details if you are unsure.
Payment is required at the time of your appointment and can paid be in cash, EFTPOS or on a credit card (Note that Diners Club cards are not accepted). Due to our HICAPS instant claiming system, we can claim the private health insurance rebates for most private health insurers on the spot.
You’ll be pleased to know that we bulk bill all of our EPC patients and do not charge any gap payments for Motor Vehicle Insurance patients, Worker’s Compensation patients or Veteran Affairs patients.
We kindly request that you provide 24 hours notice to cancel your appointment.
We are happy to offer same day appointments when available. Call us now on 9583 5200 for the earliest available appointment.
Please wear clothing that will allow the Exercise Physiologist to expose any areas that needs to be assessed (such as sore knees, lower back pain, etc.). Almost all sessions will include exercises in the gymnasium, so please wear appropriate gym attire and bring a towel with you.